Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Apology To Paul Sadler

The gentleman pictured above is former State Representative Paul Sadler. He is currently running for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Kay bailey Hutchison. A few weeks ago, when I posted a rundown of the Democratic candidates running for that office, I said I thought Mr. Sadler could well be a "blue dog" -- a Democrat that votes with Republicans more than with his own party.

I based that on what little information I could glean from Sadler's website. The website was (and still is) pretty vague on the issues. Instead. he talks about energy independence, strengthening national defense, and his own "fierce independence". In Texas, that kind of talk can be code for being a "blue dog" (conservative Democrat).

But last week Mr. Sadler gave the Texas Tribune an interview. In it, he came out publicly in support of the president's health care reform, marriage equality, women's health, and a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. Those are not stands a blue dog would take. It looks like, if elected, Sadler could be counted on in votes critical for the Democratic Party.

I'm sure that Sadler and I will disagree on some issues -- I've never met the candidate I can agree with on everything. But I am sorry I called him a blue dog, and I formally apologize to him for that.

Now I have a hard choice to make between Paul Sadler and Sean Hubbard -- both of whom I think would make a good senator. The Democrats in this year's senate race may not be well-known, but they are solid Democrats and offer the people of Texas a real choice from all the right-wingers running for the Republican nomination. That's a refreshing change.

2 comments:

  1. oh my Goddess...does this mean you and aren't the only 2 yellowdogs in the state?..holy fuckme

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.