Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Day Of Executions


Today, Iran will be showing the world just what a backward nation they really are. They will be publically executing 30 people. Executions in Iran are carried out by hanging the person from a large crane (see picture above).

Some of the people being executed have committed serious crimes such as murder, kidnapping, armed robbery and smuggling arms. Sadly though, others are being executed for far less serious crimes such as selling drugs or alcohol. Some will be executed for activity that would not even be considered a crime in most countries, such as adultery.

Last year Iran executed 317 people. Only China executed more people (470). The United States executed 42 people, most of them here in Texas. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't like the company we're keeping on this issue.

I think it's time we joined the rest of the civilized world, and outlawed government-sanctioned killing.

1 comment:

  1. I can't agree more. You know, I was raised in a very devoutly Republican home and the very first issue that found me dissenting with the Rep. party platform was the death penalty. Ever since I was very young, I have know exactly how heinous it really is. Hopefully, America will joint he rest of the civilized world in being humanitarian. (But, I won't complain if it's after Bush is convicted of war crimes.)

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.