Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Debate Over Drug Programs


In the last state legislative session, $2 million was set aside for a new drug program to fight methamphetamine addiction. Since that time, a serious debate has risen about whether the program has been proven to be effictive or not.

The program involves the combination of a new drug, Prometa, with nutritional supplements. One side of the debate is pushing the Prometa program as a more effective method of fighting meth addiction than other programs. The other side argues that money is being wasted on an unproven program. I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

This is an issue that I do know a little about. Due to my job, I have worked with drug users for many years. I am familiar with many different drug rehabilitation programs. I have seen all of them work. I have also seen all of them fail.

When I was younger, I fell for the argument that some programs were superior to other programs. I no longer believe that. I now believe that if a person really wants to quit drug use, any program will work. If a person is not ready to quit, no program will work.

This is the major failing of court-ordered drug programs. You simply cannot mandate that a person quit drug use. If that person does not really want to quit, they will simply return to drug use as soon as the program is over.

I believe we don't give nearly enough money to drug education. And this education effort must be a two-pronged program. We must educate young people so they don't ever start drug use. But we must also try to reach users and educate them to what the drugs are actually doing to their lives and futures. Too often, the negative effects are not realized until it is too late.

While we cannot make someone quit drug usage, maybe we can make them want to quit. Once they want to quit, then they are ready for a drug program. Until then, it is just a waste of money to put them into a program.

There simply is no "magic bullet" drug or program for rehabilitation. Quitting drug use is hard work, and a person must really want to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.