Monday, December 24, 2007

Stewart And Colbert To Return To The Air


I don't know if this is good news or not. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report are going to go back on the air with new episodes in January -- without their striking writers.

These are two of my favorite TV shows, and I have missed them since the writers went on strike. But I understood, since I do support the writers strike. I also respected Stewart and Colbert for supporting the strike.

Now, I don't know what to think. I can understand how Leno, Letterman and shows of that kind can return to the air. They can just rely more heavily on unscripted interviews with guests. They won't be as good as they were, but I can see how they could get by.

But the shows of Stewart and Colbert rely much more heavily on scripted elements for their laughs. How are they going to get by without their writers? Both are talented comedians, but I'm not sure I want to see them trying to "wing it" without a script. I just don't think it would be the same high quality I have come to expect from these shows.

Neither the shows nor the network will comment on how this will be done. I sincerely hope the shows are not planning to use "scab" writers. That would be extremely disappointing, and I would not watch the shows -- even after the strike has ended.

Much of the audience for both shows is composed of liberals who are union sympathizers, if not members. Stewart and Colbert owe it to their audience to explain exactly what they will be doing.

1 comment:

  1. *** BOYCOTT THE DAILY SHOW AND COLBERT REPORT ***

    While I deeply enjoy the satire and wit of The Daily Show and Colbert Report, I am saddened and disappointed that Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are crossing the picket lines. They are, first and foremost, excellent writers. They have multiple Emmy awards for their comedy writing skills. Instead of returning to the set, they should be returning to the negotiating table and the picket lines.

    We, the viewers and consumers, have power to force Sumner Redstone and the rest of the AMPTP back into good faith negotiations. If we withhold our viewership from the commercials that fund the AMPTP, then the advertisers will pressure Viacom to resolve the strike. This strike is about money, and we should use our economic clout to press for the outcome we want.

    ** BOYCOTT **

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.