Thursday, November 15, 2007

Good For The Goose But Not The Gander


Until now, my only complaint about the Obama candidacy has been his lack of experience. I just thought he's making a run for the presidency a few years too soon. But this lastest incident has me wondering if he's not trying to hide something -- something he doesn't think voters would like or understand.

For a while now, Obama has been after Clinton to release all of her records for inspection. He has made it seem as though she's trying to hide something by not authorizing the release of the information (and maybe she is). She says the matter is out of her hands and the info can't be released until it has been gone through by the National Archives.

That is troubling enough, but now it looks like Obama himself is not wanting to release records. When he was asked to release his own political records, Obama said he doesn't have any records from his time as an Illinois state senator -- even though he only left that position in 2004.

Obama said recently, "I don't have - I don't maintain - a file of eight years of work in the state Senate because I didn't have the resources available to maintain those kinds of records. It could have been thrown out. I haven't been in the state Senate now for quite some time."

I find that very hard to believe. He doesn't have any records at all? It stretches the bounds of believability that a politician wouldn't keep any records -- especially records of his successes.

It would also be more believable if his campaign spokesman hadn't earlier this year asked someone to narrow their request for information on whether Obama had ever requested clemency for a convicted criminal, inferring that the request covered too much material.

I agree that Clinton should release her records, but so should Obama. After all, what's good for the goose is also good for the gander. It's rather disingenuous for Obama to ask for Clinton's records when he's unwilling to provide his own.

Meanwhile, John Edwards is authorizing the release of his own records. His campaign spokesman says, "Senator Edwards will release the records for his Senate office and is committed to getting this done as quickly as possible."

Personally, I am still supporting Bill Richardson, and if you haven't made up your mind, I urge you to consider supporting him. However, if you feel like you must choose between the three frontrunners right now, it would seem to me that Edwards is by far the best choice.

1 comment:

  1. I feel these records are in the trunk of his car. If we could just pull him over and see!

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.