Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Hard To Be A Cowboys Fan These Days

Last week, I said it was not yet time to hit the panic button if you're a Dallas Cowboys fan. But that was before they lost a home game to a 2-13 Detroit Lions team. This week, I'm pounding the hell out of that panic button.

I know some of you are going to say that they've made the playoffs, and that anything can happen in the playoffs. Granted. I, also, hope something magical will happen when the playoffs start, but I'm certainly not going to bet any of my hard-earned money on it.

Frankly, this team doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs. How can anyone believe in a team that loses a last game of the season at home to a 2-13 team? The only team the Cowboys have beaten in the last four weeks is a poor Atlanta Falcons team, and they were lucky to win that one.

Before the season started, it looked like they would have a great defense this year. But the last four weeks, they have given up an average of 33 points per game. Nobody will win very many games giving up that many points.

This is the first year for the Cowboys to play a 3-4 defense. I have to wonder if Zimmer, who has always coached the 4-3 defense before, really understands the 3-4 well enough to coach it. It seems like the Cowboys always seem to leave a receiver open. And the pass rush is non-existent.

But as bad as the defense is, the offense is equally bad. The turnovers, dropped passes and penalties have killed any chance they had for consistency. On paper, they Cowboys seem to have a lot of top talent, but it is not translating to the playing field.

I don't know what is wrong with this team. I just know they are entering the playoffs playing as poorly as any team in the league. Don't bet the rent money on any Cowboy playoff wins.

1 comment:

  1. jobsanger,

    Like you, I'm a longtime fan of the Cowboys. I think I was more disgusted Sunday than I've ever been over a Cowboys' performance. What the hell happened to this team? I'm at a loss.

    On a more positive note, thank you for your New Year's wishes. Happy New Year to you and your family. Keep up the good work in '07.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.