Friday, November 24, 2006

Thankful To Be Alive

I didn't get any posting done on this blog yesterday, because it was a pretty busy day for me. My mother is now in her upper eighties, so my son and I decided to take on the job of preparing this years Thanksgiving feast. We had the oven and all stove burners going starting at six in the morning.

This was the first Thanksgiving that we had cooked the meal, and I have to admit, it was a much bigger job than I had imagined. I truly admire those of you who take on this task every year. But in the end, it turned out pretty well. I can't say it was as good as "mom's cooking", but it was close and there were no complaints.

But preparing the food, watching my beloved Cowboys play, and taking a much-needed nap, meant that I had no time to sit in front of the computer yesterday. However, I still feel the need to list some things I am thankful for. So please bear with me while I extend my period of "thanksgiving" for one more day.

As some of you know, I was shot in the stomach last year by a car-jacker and left to die. The only reason I am alive today is because of some special people and organizations. Today, I repay a debt and give these people the thanks they so richly deserve.

I am thankful for the member of Citizens on Patrol who happened to be patrolling across the park when he saw me get shot. He called 911 and got the ambulance and police on their way. Then he stayed with me until they arrived. If not for his actions, I doubt I would be alive today. He also made a great witness at the criminal's trial.

I am thankful for the EMT's who arrived very quickly with their ambulance. They were kind, efficient, and thoroughly competent.

I am thankful for the excellent surgeon and nurses at Harris Methodist Hospital. I cannot say enough good things about their medical expertise and courteous treatment of this stranger.

I am thankful for the competence and professionalism of the Fort Worth Police Department. They arrived even faster than the ambulance and quickly got the information they needed. Then they went out and apprehended the criminal that same day.

I am thankful for the Tarrant County District Attorney's office, especially prosecutors Nichols and Tourje. They were kind to me, totally professional, and did a great job at the trial.

I am thankful for District Judge Gallagher for conducting a fair and impartial trial. Then when the criminal was convicted, sentenced him to 75 years in prison.

I am thankful for the wonderful co-workers at my place of employment. Without complaining, they pitched in and did my work until I was able to return.

I am thankful for my family who closed ranks and provided the support I needed to heal both physically and psychologically.

It is now a year later and I have completely healed. The process was made much easier by the people listed above. I will always be appreciative of their efforts.

There is one more group that I am thankful for -- the wonderful readers of this blog. You guys have made my second chance at life a much richer and more rewarding experience. I hope that all of you also have much to be thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite a year, for sure.

    Glad we still have you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks boadicea. It was definitely an interesting year.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.