Monday, October 30, 2006

Dallas Paper Notices Dewhurst Has An Opponent

I saw an amazing thing in the Dallas Morning News today. It was an article about Maria Luisa Alvarado running for Texas Lieutenant Governor. Until today, I wasn't even sure they were aware that Dewhurst even had an opponent. If you are a north Texan, and depend on the Morning News for all your political news, you may not even know who Maria Luisa Alvarado is.

But I don't mean to just pick on the Morning News. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has been just as bad. Both of these papers will give you several stories about the governor's race each day, but seem to have blacked-out all news of any down-ballot Democrats running this year. Even the article about Alvarado today, mostly talks about how she doesn't stand a chance of being elected.

All of the north Texas news media have covered this election very poorly. I don't remember a single article or TV spot about Alvarado or VaLinda Hathcox. The only time Fred Head has been mentioned is when the media wants to talk about his opponent's dirty book.

But Maria Luisa Alvarado is not deterred by the lack of media publicity, or the lack of campaign funds. Here is what she has to say:

"I'm not a lawyer and I have no special political skills that the experts say are necessary to win office. I have no electoral experience and have not held prior office. I'm just an ordinary person. But the voters are people just like me. We don't have to look for knights in shining armor to take care of us. All of us are responsible for what gets done by government.

I'm fully aware this is a tough race. It's not David vs. Goliath. It's more like Maria vs. David and Goliath. But I grew up poor and worked my way to where I am today. Don't tell me I can't do something without money.

I'm very aware that my opponent is wealthy and has the power of the incumbancy. But the main requirement of the lieutenant governor's office is the ability to work with people, to know when to fight and when to compromise for what's best for the people.

I don't pay much attention to what the experts and the media say. They said I couldn't win the Democratic nomination for this office. Around the state, I'm finding an audience for my message and I'm finding a strong anti-incumbancy attitude. People tell me they're ready for a change. I tell them that I'm their chance."

Whether the newspapers and TV want to tell you or not, Dewhurst does have an opponent this year, and she's ready to help us take back Texas. Vote for Maria Luisa Alvarado. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.