Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hurrah! Kinky's On The Ballot!

I'm very happy to report that Kinky Friedman is officially on the Texas ballot as a candidate for governor. This afternoon, Texas Secretary of State Roger Williams said he had notified Kinky and Grandma that they are now officially on the ballot.

Kinky turned in 170,258 signatures and 137,154 signatures were approved - more than three times the number required to get on the ballot. I think some people expected most of Kinky's signatures to be bad since many were collected in bars and other such establishments. Not true! A whopping 80.6% of the total number were found to be valid. In contrast, Grandma turned in 222,514 signatures and 108,512 signatures were found to be valid. It gets her on the ballot, but only 48.8% of the total number were found to be valid.

I've made it no secret on this blog that I am a hardcore supporter of Kinky in his race for the governor's office. I know this upsets some Democrats, but that's just too bad [after all, I do support the rest of their slate of candidates]. Why do I support Kinky? For me, it's a matter of trust.

Little Ricky and Grandma have shown everyone over the last few years why they can't be trusted by the way that they governed, so I won't waste any more time on them. Chris Bell is another matter. He may be wildly popular in south Texas, but up here in the Metroplex, he is virtually unknown. What little I do know is not positive. He just looks like another pre-packaged candidate with the suits, the hairspray, and the talking points.

Of the four candidates, Kinky is the one I trust. I just like the guy, and I have for the last 30 years. Do I agree with him on everything? No, but I've never met the candidate that I agree with on everything. This year I'm voting for someone I trust. It's been a long time since I could say that.

Burnt Orange Report tells us that a new Zogby poll is out on the Texas race for governor. This poll was conducted this month. The results are:

Perry...............37.7%
Bell..................19.7%
Friedman........17.5%
Strayhorn........14.1%

Starting to look like Grandma is an "also ran". Bell and Kinky are very close [the margin of error is about 3%], but that won't matter unless Perry's numbers start to fall. In a four-way race, 37% is a winner.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for dropping by John. I knew I would upset some Democrats when I decided I would be supporting Kinky.

    I checked out your blog and liked it a lot, so I added it to our blogroll. I think you'll find we agree on far more things than we disagree on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KIA -
    You told me last time that you really are a supporter of Kinky. If so, then why would you come to a left-wing site and accuse him of being a republican? Do you go to right-wing sights and accuse him of being a liberal? You are either making a lame attempt at humor, or trying to slime Kinky, or both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KIA -

    This is a liberal blog. I talk to liberals from a liberal point of view. If you're looking for republican votes, you've come to the wrong place. There aren't any here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jobsanger,
    I agree with kinky is awesome. Kinky is more Republican than Democrat which is why your support of Kinky (and other Dem's support of him) is so confusing to the rest of us.

    I also agree with john coby. Every Democrat who votes for Kinky is only ensuring a Perry win, which is going to be a disaster for this state for another four years. When Kinky takes away enough Bell votes to make that happen, I'm holding all Kinky voters responsible for the mess we'll be in. Just like I hold every Bush voter responsible for the mess we are in now in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is it that attracts about Kinky?

    I see nothing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kinky is all fluff and no substance. He actually believes in Bush's foreign policy. Do you? Do you believe that Bush has been a disaster overseas? So somewhere outside of North America and check it out. Do you believe in armed militias on the border? If you do, then vote for Kinky. But will 40% of the electorate be with you? I think Chris Bell will win. He has the money to go on statewide TV now, and keep in mind, he is only at 19.7 %, but that’s with a less than 40% name recognition. When his name rec is 80%, closer to the campaign, he will cash in on Perry's negatives. Chris Bell is pretty much straight Democratic Party line. If you want to know what Chris Bell is like, read the Democratic Party platform. This ensures at least 35% at the very minimum – the lower end of the democratic party base in the last few state elections. And the way it looks now, 35-40% is going to win this election. How does Kinky get past 35%? theres no way mathematically. And voting for Kinky is like voting for Nadar in '00. You're risking putting Perry back in at the expense of Bell.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.