Monday, May 15, 2006

It was fun while it lasted

Well, it looks as if my political discussions that I enjoyed with my best friend, Red, have temporarily come to an end. At least, until Bedford pisses her off again. Jim Story, her choice for mayor, won the election this weekend.

Red is an exceptionally smart woman, but politics isn't exactly her favorite subject. Last year, during the tax rollback election in Bedford, that changed. She was against the rollback, "We have the lowest property taxes in the area," she said, "Raising them to match taxes of surrounding cities is not unreasonable." She did, however, understand the opposing view. She felt that they could have raised the taxes in smaller increments over several years, if only to allow people to ease it into their budget.

After the rollback, her attitude changed a bit. Bedford closed the library and the Bedford Boy's Ranch, turning her into one mad bitch, "What in the hell are they thinking?! Every damn one of them needs to be removed from office immediately. Being mad over the rollback is acceptable, but punishing the citizens is not. Taxes will be raised sooner or later, we all know that. But it is very unlikely that I will support any candidate that that will close down public facilities because they can't control their budget."

I thoroughly enjoyed this reaction from her. Being very interested in politics myself, I had been waiting for the day she would take an interest herself. Seeing her take an active roll in the Bedford elections made me one happy camper.

Of course, she is also a happy camper right now, because the election is over. Now that Story has won, she hopes Bedford can put the bad feelings from last year's rollback cat fight behind them. For her sake, as well as Bedford's, I hope that is the case. For my own, though...well...I've enjoyed her year long rant so much that I regret to see it end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.