Thursday, March 23, 2006

Left-Wing Swift-Boaters ?

I am a supporter of Kinky Friedman for governor of Texas. I became familiar with Kinky when I purchased his album [Sold American - Kinky Friedman & the Texas Jewboys] in the early seventies. I have read and own most of his books. I have come to know Kinky through his work and his appearances over the last thirty years, and I just like this guy. Kinky is the kind of guy I'd like to drink a brew with and discuss the world's problems.

Do I agree with Kinky on everything? No. But I've never seen a politician who I agreed with on everything. At least I know who Kinky is and what he believes, and I will feel comfortable voting for him.

Now, the Burnt Orange Report has started the slime campaign against Kinky. In an article posted on 3/21/2006, Ryan Goodland and Phillip Martin have accused Kinky of being a racist. This is probably one of the worst things you can be called in this country! This is the kind of slimy attack that the republican "swift-boaters" used against Kerry. I had hoped that we left-wingers were a little better than that. I guess I was wrong.

I don't believe for a minute that Kinky is a racist. The only evidence they present to prove this is a joke that Kinky told. He was asked, "What would you do with sexual predators?", and Kinky answered, "Throw'em in prison and throw away the key, and make'em listen to a Negro talking to himself". It's not very funny as a joke, but as proof of racism, this is some pretty slim evidence. In fact, the evidence is so slight that I believe this qualifies as slander.

If the democrats want to slander my candidate, that will not make me change my vote. It might, however, keep me from voting for democrats further down the ballot. I am a left-winger, but that does not mean the democrats own me or my vote. I just expected better from Burnt Orange Report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.